Law Office of Kari Holm Fawcett
Free Consultation
Contact Me Today!
I Can Help.
410-266-5525 Annapolis
410-266-5525 Annapolis
Kari Holm Fawcett & Anne Marie Dunn-Reid

Protecting You And Your Family
During These Challenging Times.

Kari Holm Fawcett and Anne Marie Dunn-Reid
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Grandparents’ Rights

What Are Grandparents’ Visitation Rights?

Maryland law recently changed in regard to grandparents’ rights to child visitation. At the Law Office of Kari Holm Fawcett, I have been helping families throughout Maryland for over 25 years. I can help you understand how this law may affect your visitation goals.

I have represented both sides of this issue. I will devote my full attention and energy to helping you find a solution. My law firm can help you receive or keep your grandparent visitation rights. I can also help if there is a reason to object to grandparent visitation.

Call me at 301-262-5500 or 301-850-7345 for a low cost consultation. My law firm represents clients in Prince George’s County, Anne Arundel County and all other communities in Maryland from my offices in Bowie and Annapolis.

Fighting For Your Rights — And For Your Grandchild’s Future

With respect to grandparent issues, if you are looking to maintain a close relationship with your grandchildren, you may be disappointed with your options. The new law takes away any presumptions in favor of your right to visitation. This basically means that just because you are a blood relative and a grandparent, you do not automatically get visitation rights.

However, there is hope. If you were a main child care provider for your grandchild before the divorce, as your lawyer, I can help you fight for visitation. However the burden of proof is on you to show that it is in your grandchild’s best interest to maintain or have visitation.

There are also situations where grandparents may need to file a third-party complaint for child custody. This can occur in situations that involve:

  • Unfit parent(s)
  • Child abandonment
  • Incarcerated parent
  • Unsafe living conditions

I carefully select each case that I handle so that I can concentrate my energy and focus on finding legal solutions to your family law issues.

Parent Issues

If you are estranged from your parents, you probably have strong feelings about grandparent visitation. You may feel it is not in your children’s best interest for them to have contact with their grandparents. As your attorney, I can help structure legal strategies focused on your visitation goals. I can help ensure that your relationship with your parents does not interfere with your relationship with your children.

The new law does not grant instant approval to grandparents regarding visitation rights. However, your parents may petition the court for visitation. If that happens, I can seek legal solutions to support your visitation wishes.

Low Cost Consultation With A Lawyer

To discuss your situation with a grandparent rights lawyer, please call me at 301-262-5500, 301-850-7345 or send me an email.